We survived the 17+ hour flight to Johannesburg (including a 1 hour layover in Dakar)! After 3 days of driving through South Africa, we’ve already learned a thing or two (and seen lots of new sites).
1. Main lesson – look right first, and stay on the left! Driving on the wrong side of the road is not easy.
2. Our Nissan "SUV" (pick-up truck with a hood) does not like to go up hills or faster than 100 km/hr, making it easy to obey the speed limit.
3. In South Africa, you briefly turn on your hazard lights to thank someone.
4. You can buy tons of good South African wine at the grocery store for around $5/bottle.
5. Giorgio very much enjoys cooking every dinner on the grill (or as they say in South Africa, the braai)
6. Finally, South Africa is gorgeous!
|Bourke's Luck Potholes, Blyde River Canyon|
|Three Rondevals, Blyde River Canyon|
Next stop, Kruger National Park!